Employment Opportunity for Students with Disabilities Student resources
|Overview||EOSD Events||Mentorship Program||Student Resources|
Aussi en français
Onboarding and Integration Guides
- EOSD Integration Guide for Students: The Public Service Commission developed this guide specifically for new student employees participating in the Employment Opportunity for Students with Disabilities support initiative.
Your manager is here to help! It is important to let your manager know throughout your employment if you require any accommodations, adaptive tools, or support measures to help you succeed during your employment.
This can include having a discussion with your manager about any accommodation needs, confirming your workstation is properly set up, and confirming that your accommodation needs have been met.
It is your responsibility to let your manager know if your needs have changed and if additional support is required.
If you have a copy of your educational institution’s Learning Intervention Plan, which contains any physical, technological and/or learning accommodation requirements established by your learning institution, share this with your manager as it may facilitate your workplace accommodation.
- Government of Canada Accessibility Resource Center
- The assessment accommodation process - Canada.ca
- Accessibility, Accommodation and Adaptive Computer Technology (AAACT) program at Shared Services Canada
- GC Workplace Accessibility Passport
- Government of Canada Workplace Accessibility Passport - YouTube
- Office of Public Service Accessibility GCpedia page: Tools and resources for public servants of all departments and levels in support of the Nothing Without Us Accessibility Strategy for the public service of Canada
- Accessibility in the public service: Information on accessibility in the public service, including the accessibility strategy for the public service, supporting initiatives and legislation
- Accessibility Standards Canada: Adepartmental corporation created in 2019 under the Accessible Canada Act (the Act). Committed to creating accessibility standards for federally-regulated entities and federal organizations.
Policies and Regulations
- Canadian Human Rights Act (justice.gc.ca)
- Employment Equity Act
- Accessible Canada Act
- Directive on the Duty to Accommodate- Canada.ca (tbs-sct.gc.ca)
- Directive on Student Employment
- Directive on Student Employment Terms and Conditions of Employment for Students
- Student Employment Programs in the Federal Government
- Public service student recruitment programs
- Student Bridging
Networking will help you develop and improve your skillset, stay on top of the latest trends in your industry, keep a pulse on the job market, meet prospective mentors, provide you with social support, and gain access to the necessary resources which can allow you to exchange resources with others (e.g., helping one another) to help foster your personal and career development. Available networks include:
- Persons with Disabilities Champions and Chairs Committee (PwDCCC) - GCpedia
- Public Servants for an Accessible Government: Public Servants for an Accessible Government: GCconnex
- Infinity - The Network for Neurodivergent Public Servants
- Mental Health Center of Expertise GCpedia page
- GC Mental Health | Santé Mentale GC's Profile: GCconnex
- Canadian Innovation Centre for Mental Health in the Workplace: Canadian Innovation Centre for Mental Health in the Workplace: GCconnex
- GCStudents - ÉtudiantsGC - wiki (gccollab.ca)
Be sure to see if your organization has a Young Professionals’ Network and/or Persons with Disabilities Network for more opportunities.
Career and Recruitment Resources
- Career Marketplace (Interdepartmental opportunities for jobs and mentoring)
- Post-Secondary Recruitment Campaign
- Recruitment of Policy Leaders
- Post-Secondary CO-OP/Internship Program
- Research Affiliate Program
For additional information on EOSD, contact the Public Service Commission’s Diversity and Inclusion Centre of Expertise.
Accessibility is a journey and we are always finding ways to improve our content. If you can help us provide information to you better, please let us know.