DCD/Get Involved-Hiring/UX Content Strategist
Who are we?
The Digital Enablement (DE) Branch of the Treasury Board Secretariat is a team of passionate public servants that helps the Government of Canada and its partners work together, in the open, to create a better world. How? By developing an open and accessible digital workspace as an open source software project – with open standards, open source software, and lightweight partnerships to help us get it right. While we work on that, we are also responsible for maintaining the GCTools (GCcollab, GCconnex, GCpedia and more!). Our work involves everything from strategic planning, policy and foresight, data analysis and reporting, user experience, advocacy and marketing, content management and curation, community management and user support. Our team also looks after the complete technical operations from networking, server provision, application development and user experience. We work with and for our users to make the Government of Canada awesome!
About the User Experience team
The User Experience (UX) team guides and informs the work towards designing and building better collaboration tools and user experiences using a variety of research and design methods. We work with a multidisciplinary team to incorporate user-centric thinking from problem definition to post-launch iteration. Our priority is to have an in-depth understanding of our users. We ask thoughtful research questions, synthesize insights, develop and evaluate concepts or prototypes, and assist with launches and releases.
We value diversity and learning from one another, so you’ll be joining a team of people from various backgrounds. We’re always looking for people who are passionate about their work and who understand the important role that collaboration can play in a large ecosystem such as the Government of Canada. You’ll have opportunities to learn, lead, and contribute to meaningful work.
As a UX Content Strategist, you will…
- Work as part of our UX team alongside designers, researchers, and front end developers building and maintaining web applications and tools.
- Become a subject matter expert for the Aurora design system; work with other team members on the ongoing development and application for Aurora in all design and product development.
- Develop inclusive and accessible content related to new applications, product feature updates, in-product messaging, project reports, UX research publications, help articles and organizational pages.
- Develop content strategies, standards, guidelines, patterns and governance.
- Perform content audits, analyze user data to evaluate content effectiveness and undertake cleanup exercises.
- Manage multiple projects following the agile processes, including planning, aligning and presenting your work as part of the product sprints.
- Participate in user research activities and work with researchers to conduct user sessions, card sorting exercises and online research.
- Support the Digital Enablement Development team in meeting objectives within the scope of the product roadmap.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues to drive the Digital Workspace project forward.
You'll need to have
- Content strategy experience, preferably in a product-focused environment.
- Background working within a multidisciplinary team including UX designers, researchers, and developers.
- Experience writing and structuring language to respond to audience needs.
- Demonstrated ability to create, implement, and maintain content standards across an organization.
- A foundational understanding of user-centered design techniques and how to apply them.
- Hands-on experience creating and applying content strategies, frameworks and style guidelines to ensure copy has a purpose and is applied consistently across touch points.
- Strive for clarity and an intuitive flow in everything you work on.
- Strong project management, organizational and coordinating skills
- The ability to translate business needs and research requests into actionable tasks
- A strategic and creative mind to quickly identify problems and offer and practical solutions;
- A desire to continually learn, experiment with, and develop new methods of working.
- The desire and willingness to collaborate with teammates, share knowledge and experience with them, and learn from them.
- Strong computer skills with the ability to learn new software quickly
- Strong reading, writing and communication skills in both official languages (English and French).
It's a bonus if you have
- Knowledge of the GCTools (GCconnex, GCcollab, GCpedia).
- Experience using MediaWiki, the software that powers Wikipedia or HTML and CSS knowledge.
- Creative and design skills (using Adobe Creative Suite, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Knowledge of agile development processes.
- Skills, hobbies, or experience that have given you a unique perspective on Web content development and user experience.
- Strong presentation skills, including creation, delivery, and openness to feedback.
We are located in downtown Ottawa, Ontario.
Classification and Level
1 year secondment.
If you are interested in joining our dynamic team of individuals, and working on awesome projects that will help shift the culture of the Government of Canada towards a collaborative and connected ecosystem, send your cover letter, portfolio and résumé to: Genenevieve.firstname.lastname@example.org.