Application Portfolio Management (APM)
|Home||IT Expenditure||Application Portfolio Management (APM)||IT Plan||FAQs|
Overview[edit | edit source]
Context[edit | edit source]
- TBS Report on the State of Aging IT (2010) affirmed that Application Portfolio Management is not consistently practiced GC-wide, thereby supporting the need for a formalized approach for the management of applications.
- 75% reside in the back-office, many are home-grown, solve the same business needs and do not leverage enterprise opportunities
- Efficiencies can be realized by consolidating and standardizing back-office applications in order to redirect resources towards the renewal of aging systems & towards government priorities
GC Applications Inventory[edit | edit source]
List of GC applications based on departmental reporting.
Strategy Components[edit | edit source]
Expected Outcomes[edit | edit source]
- Improve the maturity of application portfolio management practices across government to provide a holistic view of the GC applications landscape and related risks and investments
- Support government-wide strategies on the renewal & ever-greening of aging applications that are both economical and ensure the continuity of services to Canadians
- Implement multi-year investment planning for applications that is interlocked with corporate risk and investment planning to direct investments towards government priorities
APM to focus IT investments to best meet business objectives, with an acceptable level of risk and at a reasonable cost.
Useful Links[edit | edit source]
- STRATEGY COMPONENTS' references
- Guidance documents
- Application Portfolio Management User Guide has an overview of what APM is and a description of mission criticality.
- The Aging IT Application Assessment details the Aging IT methodology; the funding condition, BCP/DRP and criticality assessments.
- The Application Lifecycle Management Assessment details the T.I.M.E. methodology; the business value, support costs and technical condition assessments.
- APM Module Guide (CA Clarity is the system used for APM)
Related pages Enterprise Portfolio Strategy Index of pages and files about APM on GCPedia News and Events on GCconnex * APM Community Group
Need help? Contact us.