YESAA Oversight Group
About the YESAA Oversight Group
The Oversight Group was established as a result of the Yukon Environmental and Socio-economic Assessment Act (YESAA) Reset Memorandum of Understanding ("Reset MOU"), signed in November 2017, by Yukon First Nations with Final Agreements, the Government of Yukon, and the Government of Canada. The Parties are committed to working together to re-establish collaboration for the purpose of fully implementing the development assessment process in accordance with the Yukon First Nation Final Agreements and facilitating its improvement in the spirit of partnership, respect and cooperation.
The purpose of the Oversight Group is to oversee the development assessment process in the Yukon and promote its ongoing improvement, while respecting the independence of the Yukon Environmental and Socio-economic Assessment Board (YESAB).
The Oversight Group consists of four members:
- Daryn Leas and Emmie Fairclough, who are the two representatives appointed by Yukon First Nations
- Samantha Paterson, who is the representative appointed by the Government of Yukon
- Dionne Savill, who is the representative appointed by the Government of Canada
First Nations and stakeholders that are not party to the Reset MOU, including YESAB, Yukon First Nations without Final Agreements, Transboundary First Nations, industry and other interested groups, are encouraged to contact the Oversight Group if they have questions or input.
For further information about the Oversight Group, please see the Oversight Group Fact Sheet.
Oversight Group Priorities
The Oversight Group approved a series of priorities, which was informed by submissions from Yukon First Nations with Final Agreements, the Government of Yukon, the Government of Canada and YESAB. The Oversight Group also took into consideration the concerns and interests expressed by various non-governmental organizations, including industry and environmental conservation groups. These priorities may be addressed through the YESAA Forum, working groups, technical committees, or any other means as agreed upon by the Oversight Group.
The priorities generally fall into three common themes:
- YESAA Forum
- Consultation and Engagement
- Policy/Procedural Aspects
For further details on the priority areas, please see the Oversight Group Priorities Document.
The YESAA Forum originally flowed from the YESAA 5-year review as a means to continuously and collaboratively improve the environmental assessment process for all Yukoners. The outcomes of the Reset MOU and the establishment of the Oversight Group have encouraged the revitalization of the Forum as a key priority moving forward.
The purpose of the Forum is to create a community of practice for YESAA practitioners to engage in discussion, analysis and training, and to develop recommendations to address a range of YESAA-related topics. The Oversight Group will provide guidance and direction to the YESAA Forum.
The YESAA Forum may include discussion of topics from the YESAA 5-year Review, further exploration of previous Forum event topics, and priority areas identified by the Oversight Group, such as:
- Cumulative Effects
- Traditional Knowledge
- Consultation and Engagement
- Mitigative Measures
- Proving Economic Potential and Benefits
- Improving Communications of Pre-submission Requirements
- Other priority areas identified by the Oversight Group
YESAA Forum Documents
YESAA Forum Terms of Reference - Updated as of September 11, 2019
YESAA Forum Slide Deck "Reconnecting" - November 5, 2019
YESAA Forum: Reconnecting - Report and Recommendations - February 24, 2020
Upcoming YESAA Forum Events
The next YESAA Forum is taking place January 26-29, 2021, and will involve presentations, break-out sessions and discussions over four half-day sessions.The forum will be held on the topic of cumulative effects assessment, management and monitoring using a virtual format for invited participants.
Oversight Group Meetings and Records of Decision
- July 19, 2018 - Initial meeting of the Oversight Group and signing of the Terms of Reference
- August 9, 2018 - Oversight Group meeting with YESAB
- September 11, 2018 - Oversight Group meeting
- November 26, 2018 - Oversight Group meeting and approval of priorities
- October 26, 2018 - Oversight Group meeting
- May 9, 2019 - Oversight Group meeting with YESAB - Record of Decision
- September 11, 2019 - Oversight Group meeting - Record of Decision
- March 4, 2020 - Oversight Group meeting - Record of Decision
- June 25, 2020 - Oversight Group meeting - Record of Decision
- July 30, 2020 - Oversight Group meeting - Record of Decision
- August 26, 2020 - Oversight Group meeting - Record of Decision
- September 29, 2020 - Oversight Group meeting - Record of Decision
- October 28, 2020 - Oversight Group meeting - Record of Decision
- November 25, 2020 - Oversight Group meeting - Record of Decision
- December 14, 2021 - Oversight Group meeting - Record of Decision
Oversight Group Documents
Related News and Agreements
- News release: Canada, Yukon and Yukon First Nations Governments Meet at the Intergovernmental Forum and Reach Agreement on Implementation of Yukon Environmental Assessment Legislation
- YESAA Reset MOU
Contact the Oversight Group
Samantha Paterson, Chair
2071 2nd Avenue
Mail code: A8