I am a specialist in Traditional and Digital Communications, Web and Accessibility standards, Information Management, GCtools, Social Media tools and User-centered design. I am passionate about making communications and technology-based products accessible by diverse groups of people, regardless of ability. My competences include analyzing business needs, performing evaluations and making recommendations for improvement.
I bring over 20 years experience in government, private sector practice and volunteering; developing user-friendly communications and technical products, including coordinating, distributing and supporting various processes to meet strategic organizational needs. I have extensive experience with Web and Applications Design, Web/Mobile strategies, Web/ Accessibility standards and Open Data for the Government of Canada.
Colleagues and clients acknowledge my strong project management skills, collaborative approach and contagious positive energy.
IM/IT Technical Support Analyst (CS-02 Qualified Pool) - Employment and Social Development Canada May 2019 - Present
- Recent experience providing IM/IT service to internal and/or external clients.
- Recent experience in researching, evaluating, analyzing and implementing new IM/IT technologies, trends and practices.
- Experience creating technical documentation and/or diagrams in an IT environment.
- Experience planning work, prioritizing tasks and meeting deadlines in an IT environment.
- Recent and significant experience providing technical support, coaching, analyzing client requirements and providing advice to clients on IT services.
- Knowledge of Innovation, Information, Technology Branch plans and priorities.
- Knowledge of Innovation, Information, Technology Branch current projects.
- Knowledge of Innovation, Information, Technology Branch guiding principles and organizational model.
- Demonstrating integrity and respect, Thinking things through, Working effectively with others, Showing initiative and being action-oriented
- Ability to communicate effectively orally, Ability to communicate effectively in writing, Ability to plan, organize and prioritize work, Ability to analyze problems, identify options and generate practical solutions
- Experience with Adaptive Technologies and/or with the Web Content Accessibility Guideline (WCAG2.0 and up)
Programmer Analyst (CS-02 Qualified Pool) - Fisheries and Oceans Canada April 2019 - Present
- Experience in Web Support and Web Development, content management systems.
- Experience with collaborating with Vendors / Consultants and supporting production environments.
- Knowledge of Webpage Design, Web Content Accessibility Guidelines, HTML / CSS.
- Analytical Thinking, Client Focus, Results, Orientation, Teamwork, Adaptability (Ability to manage change)
- Ability to manage multiple conflicting priorities, Ability to communicate effectively in writing, Ability to communicate effectively orally.
- Initiative, Dependability, Judgment, Effective Interpersonal Skills.
Communications and Technical Coordinator - Fisheries and Oceans Canada October 2017 - December 2018
- Develop, coordinate & distribute communications products to support Electronic Document Management (GCdocs).
- Provide direct client engagement & support for those onboarding in the Pacific Region.
- Provide technical expertise and resources to the GCdocs implementation team & stakeholders.
- Involved with: Communications (Traditional, Digital), Information Management, GCTools.
Digital Communications Advisor - Fisheries and Oceans Canada November 2015 - September 2017
- Oversees all web & social media work undertaken for British Columbia and Yukon.
- Supervises / manages the Web & Social Media team.
- Provide guidance to Pacific Region on the Canada.ca web renewal project.
- Develop / implemented conversion plan to Open Government.
- Contributing to digital messaging for the Oceans Protection Plan.
- Involved with: Communications, Web / Mobile strategies, Web / Accessibility standards, HTML, CSS, Responsive design, Social Media strategies / implementation, Analytics, Human Resources.
- Published Open Data example: Public Reporting on Aquaculture - Incidental Catch
Web Communication Strategist - Government of Canada (RCMP in B.C.) April 2010 – November 2015
- Consult on, create & maintain the RCMP web presence to compliment communication goals.
- Acting as Web Communication Manager, when needed.
- Involved with: Internet, Intranet, Information Architecture, User-Centered Design, Web / Mobile / Application strategies, Social Media strategies / implementation, Analytics, CMS evaluation / implementation, Web / Accessibility standards, Training.
Web Strategist/Co-owner - Duran Designs Ltd. January 2010 – Present
- Duran Designs Ltd. focuses on Art, Web & Entertainment expertise.
- Involved with: Web / Accessibility / Mobile Strategies, Responsive design, WordPress / UserCentered design, Logos, Social Media, Art Retreat Planning, Studio Tours, & Artisan Markets.
Web Standards Consultant/Owner - Crazy Bat Designs January 1998 – February 2013
- Crazy Bat Designs promoted Web & Accessibility standards for all. The mission was to consult on & create web marketing for individuals and businesses based on established guidelines & help to reach the most people possible.
Team Access Member - Accessites.org January 2006 – February 2011
- Working with Team Access as a volunteer, this role consulted on, contributed to & evaluated web-related content in relation to raising awareness of Web Accessibility.
- Involved with: writing articles, grading sites according to W3C's Web Content Accessibility Guidelines, assuring that more users can access the content they need, regardless of ability.
Web / Social Media Coordinator - G8 / G20 Integrated Security Unit June 2010 – June 2010
- Working with the Public Affairs Communication Team, this role coordinates & utilizes all web / social media communications in relation to the G8 & G20 summits in Muskoka & Toronto.
- Guiding the social media team to continuously monitor all web & social media traffic during the summits to utilize social media trends in regards to clarifying questions, sending public safety alerts & other summit-related information.
- Related: Police to Tweet G8/G20 road closures, other news
Web Communication Strategist - Vancouver 2010 Integrated Security Unit August 2008 – April 2010
- Consulted on, created & maintained V2010 ISU’s web presence for the 2010 Olympic & Paralympic Games.
- Involved with many of the technical & strategic aspects from a leadership perspective - CMS implementation, Web strategies, Web / Accessibility standards, Internet, Intranet, Information Management, Analytics, UCD, Social Media strategies / implementation, HTML, CSS, Training.
PREVIOUS JOB EXPERIENCE AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST
GCbootstrap Oct 2017 – Dec 2018
Give your GCpedia pages the ability to use the latest designs, create quick mock-ups, make your content shine and look great on any type of device. Bootstrap is an open source toolkit for developing with HTML, CSS, and JS since 2011. By utilizing the GCbootstrap templates, you can use the majority of the Bootstrap-based designs today
Public Reporting on Aquaculture - Incidental Catch Jan 2016 – Aug 2016
I guided, created, maintained Fisheries and Oceans Canada - Aquaculture Management Division reports into the Open Government format (Specifically, Open Data). This involved many hours of research around the nature of the reports, technical details needed to implement, identifying stakeholders and determining the amount of work needed to succeed. After many hours of work, this was successfully implemented on not only this report, but many other Aquaculture reports for the public. This format continues to be used today and in the foreseeable future.
Intranet Redesign - Human Resources January 2013 – September 2013
Working closely with our Human Resources (HR) team, the HR Intranet site was redesigned to best serve the users. This involved significant and ongoing consulting with the clients and users to determine how users would look for jobs internally, completely reorganizing the site's Information Architecture to match the user's mental model, working with the current look and feel and assuring that any feedback was reviewed and acted on, if necessary.
Application - B.C. RCMP (iOS and Android) January 2012 – February 2013
The application provides direct, mobile access to information from our bc.rcmp.ca web site: news releases, missing persons, wanted persons, @BCRCMP / @GRCenCB Twitter accounts, BCRCMPNews / GRCenCB Facebook pages. Involved with the entire design process: planning, design, user testing, implementation, accessibility enhancements, maintenance and enhancement.
Training Sessions - Posting to the B.C. RCMP Public / Intranet sites January 2009 – Present
I delivered many training sessions with our current CMS tools for our B.C. RCMP Public and Intranet environments. This included training current B.C. RCMP staff, as well as many of our partner agencies.
Training Session - RCMP in Kamloops / City of Kamloops staff November 2011
On site training of entire Watch Clerk staff / City of Kamloops staff in regards to posting content for: Missing Persons, Amber Alerts and Most Wanted information on the public website.
Application of new WET (Web Experience Toolkit) templates on Public / Intranet sites September 2010
As the B.C. RCMP has their own web set up, the WET templates are not always compatible. When there are new updates, we need to test them and customize them for our environment. I was tasked to test the templates, establish the customization that would be needed to implement the changes, assess the magnitude of the impact and how the changes would impact on clients who manage their web site contents. My findings and suggestions helped the team decide on the most appropriate course of actions.
Web Accessibility of B.C. RCMP Public / Intranet sites November 2010 – February 2012
With my extensive web accessibility training and experience, I quickly became the resident expert for interpreting and explaining to the web team the mandatory web accessibility guidelines issued by the W3C, Treasury Board and National New Media in June 2011. Through working with national New Media and conducting research and testing, I worked with the team to adapt the web publishing systems and practices for the public and Intranet sites to meet web accessibility requirements by the end of February, 2012. My knowledge and detailed explanations of the rationale and the expected results for the 100+ compliance requirements enabled me to effectively steer the entire compliance project.
- Certified Usability Analyst - Human Factors International License 2007-1403
Honours and Awards
- Certificate of Recognition from Fisheries and Oceans Canada – Contribution to the IMTS Open House Event. (16 November 2018)
- Certificate of Recognition from Fisheries and Oceans Canada – Lead role in the creation of the GCdocs Online Help Guide. (16 October 2018)
- IM-IT Community Recognition Award from the CIO of the Government of Canada (16 May 2011)
- Commanding Officer's Certificate of Appreciation - Outstanding Service with the Vancouver 2010 Integrated Security Unit (01 October 2010)
- Received certification as a 'Certified Usability Analyst' (13 September 2007)
- Received 'Certificate of Achievement' for the 'Putting Research Into Practice' course put on by Human Factors International. (24 August 2007)
- Received 'Certificate of Achievement' for the 'The Science and Art of Effective Web and Application Design' course put on by Human Factors International. (22 August 2007)
- Received 'Certificate of Achievement' for the 'Practical Usability Testing' course put on by Human Factors International. (17 August 2007)
- Received 'Certificate of Achievement' for the 'User-Centered Analysis and Conceptual Design' course put on by Human Factors International. (16 August 2006)
Programmer Analyst / Tech. Support Analyst (CS-02 - Qualified Pools)
Fisheries and Oceans Canada / Employment and Social Development Canada
200 - 401 Burrard Street Vancouver, BC, V6C 3S4 Canada
|30px||This user is a GC Tools Ambassador. Cet utilisateur est un ambassadeur des OutilsGC|