COVID-19 Metadata, SEO and social media
Back to > COVID content guidance
Digital presence: Metadata and search engine optimization
When applied correctly, metadata helps relevant pages rank higher in search results. It can help Canadians access and share the critical information they are looking for.
- Search engines use certain metadata fields such as metatitle, description and keyword as ranking factors, for results display, and to create rich snippets; the Canada.ca search engine boosts the metatitle, description, and keyword fields; additionally URL is a relevancy and minor ranking factor.
- Social media sites (tweets, posts) are pulling: title, description
- In the context that we are in, focusing on these ones will give you the most benefits:
- Title must be unique, accurately summarize, and distinguish the page content. It should be short and start with the most important keywords (in case it is truncated in search results).
- Description should provide concrete additional information about what the users will find on the page, or what task they can complete.
- Keywords should consist of commonly used words, synonyms and acronyms for important words, concepts and phrases found in the text. Include words that users may use to search for the page.
- URLs should use plain language keywords from the title and be separated with hyphens
Web pages: Guidance for creation of COVID-19 web page metadata in AEM
- Adobe Experience Manager (AEM) COVID-19 metadata creation primer (last modified 2020-06-17)
- These guidelines provide detailed metadata creation instructions for web pages created in AEM, and directly or indirectly related to COVID-19.
- Metadata in AEM – Page properties (last modified 2020-04-17)
- This document provides an overview of the metadata field properties in Adobe Experience Manager (AEM) including a brief description of the fields, how to populate them and how they are used.
News products: Guidance for creation of COVID-19 news product metadata in AEM
- COVID-19 metadata creation primer for news products (last modified 2020-06-17)
- These guidelines provide detailed metadata creation instructions for news product pages created in AEM, and directly or indirectly related to COVID-19.
- Instructions: Adding a COVID-19 tag to a News Product (last modified 2020-05-12)
- This document provides detailed instructions on how to apply the Themes and topics value Coronavirus (COVID-19) to a news product in the AEM News module.