FSWEP's Indigenous Student Employment Opportunity Resource Page
ISEO 2023 Winter
For ISEO 2023 we are focusing on providing increased supports and resources for students. Some of the events happening this term will be:
- Mentorship event
- How to be bridged workshop
- Indigenous students can now self-register to our initiative (inclusive to students hired through FSWEP, CO-OP and casual hires)
- Engagement with students through the GCTools suite
The Indigenous Student Employment Opportunity (ISEO) is a national recruitment initiative for students who self-declare as Aboriginal under the Federal Student Work Experience Program (FSWEP). The initiative features an onboarding process, training, activities, and support services designed for both students and managers/supervisors. We offer these services in-line with our 4 pillars: Recruitment, Orientation & Onboarding, Learning & Development, and Retention.
If you would like to join the Indigenous Student Employment Opportunity (ISEO) please let us know so that we can invite you to attend mentorship & workshop sessions, and other exciting opportunities!
To register, please ask your manager to complete this short form here with you in order to be included in our activities culturally designed for Indigenous talents. Once registered, you will receive updates by email regarding ISEO.
2022-2023 - Information Toolkit for Indigenous students
The National Indigenous Student Circle's Page
Are you part of our Facebook group: National Indigenous Student Circle (NISC)? We share information about events, activities, and podcasts for Indigenous students by Indigenous students where you can learn on various topics such as:
- Why it is important to Self-declare
- How to Apply to GoC
- and much more!
Don't wait and join NISC today!
Networking will help you develop and improve your skill set, stay on top of the latest trends in your industry, keep a pulse on the job market, meet prospective mentors, provide you with social support, and gain access to the necessary resources which can allow you to exchange resources with others (e.g., helping one another) to help foster your personal and career development.
- Indigenous Federal Employee Network (IFEN) on GCconnex
- Le Western Indigenous Student Engagement Network (WISEN)
- The Kumik Elder Lodge (rcaanc-cirnac.gc.ca)
- Pacific Aboriginal Network []
Be sure to look if your specific department features a Young Professionals Network and/or Indigenous Advisory Circle.
There are five main courses which revolve around Reconciliation and cultural awareness. You can find the links below:
Careers and recruitment
- Government of Canada jobs for Indigenous people
- Career Marketplace (Interdepartmental opportunities for jobs and mentoring)
- Post-Secondary Recruitment Campaign
- Recruitment of Policy Leaders
- Post-Secondary CO-OP/Internship Program
- Government of Canada Jobs in Nunavut for Nunavut Inuit
- Canadian Armed Forces Aboriginal Entry Program
- Aboriginal Leadership Opportunities Year at National Defence
- Aboriginal-specific job profiles at Correctional Service Canada
- Aboriginal Role Models at Correctional Service Canada
- Research Affiliate Program
- Various Initiatives at Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada and Indigenous Services Canada
- Indigenous Student Recruitment Initiative at Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
- Summer Training Programs at the Department of National Defence
- International Aboriginal Youth Internships at Global Affairs Canada
- Check this out! COVID-19 Resources in Indigenous languages
- Check this out! Reasons to Join the Federal Public Service
- Indigenous Awareness Week Information: File:Indigenous Awareness Week Information.docx
- Indigenous Educational institutions and Indigenous Centres
- Indigenous Learning Series at Canada School of Public Service
- A Copy Editor's Education in Indigenous Style
- Indigenous Peoples: Language Guidelines