COVID-19 has disrupted the ability of public servants to work across the country. Most of public servants have made the transition to remote work, with critical work and workers being identified in business continuity plans. This disruption has had a significant impact on students as departments enter into a time of year where they typically make decisions to hire and renew students for summer (and fall) work terms.
Recognizing the importance of student hiring, the Chief Human Resources Officer sent a message to Deputy Heads on April 21st, 2020, encouraging them to remember students even during the COVID-19 pandemic. Since this time, the Office of the Chief Human Resources Officer (OCHRO) has been working diligently with its partners across the Government of Canada (the Public Service Commission, the Canada School of Public Service, the Office of the Chief Information Officer, Public Services and Procurement Canada, and others) to develop tools, guidance, and guides to help encourage student hiring, help managers navigate these uncertain times, help both students and managers with onboarding, and to create flexibility to make the hiring and onboarding process easier.
This page has been created to share resources created by the Office of the Chief Human Resources Officer related to Student Hiring during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
Please use the links below to navigate the various messages sent out and documents created in support of student hiring and onboarding.
- All Guidance Documents
- April 21, 2020: Message from the Chief Human Resources Officer to Deputy Heads, Heads of Agencies, Presidents of Regional Federal Councils, Heads of Human Resources
- April 22, 2020: Student Guidance Part 1 - Hiring and Obtaining Security Statuses
- May 6, 2020: Student Guidance Part 2 - Pay, Equipment, Access & Security
- May 22, 2020: Student Guidance Part 3 - Virtual Onboarding
- May 29, 2020: Message to Universities Canada from Nancy Chahwan and Patrick Borbey
- June 5, 2020: Virtual Onboarding Event (Students)
- June / July / August 2020: Activities offered to all Indigenous students, organized by the Indigenous Student Employment Opportunity team
- June / July / August 2020: Activities offered to all students with disabilities, organized by the Employment Opportunity for Students with Disabilities team
- If you are a student or potential student and have questions regarding student hiring, please contact the hiring manager you have been engaging with.
- If you are a hiring manager and have questions regarding student hiring, please contact your departmental human resources unit.
- If you are a human resources professional and have questions regarding student hiring, please contact either the Public Service Commission at email@example.com, or TBS-OCHRO at firstname.lastname@example.org.