Federal Provincial Territorial COVID-19 web management working group/November 24 2020
Jump to navigation Jump to search
NWT- Top task survey results ( Umesh Sutendra and Lana Stewart)
- Background: Top task survey to help identify top tasks that people are visiting on websites
- Helps better understand what Canadians are looking for in the context of COVID-19
- Study invitation appeared on NWT government pages (randomly generated) for a month
- Demographics/audience had higher percentage of government employee and business owners than individuals (vs Canada.ca data)
- 4 clear top tasks emerged: Travel restrictions, testing details, end date of covid, and government strategy
- Travel Restrictions is the top task is because we have had a public health order on COVID-19 travel restrictions and self-isolation protocol since March 21, 2020.
- Findings: results from NWT quite different than those for Canada.ca
- When lockdowns were in effect across most of Canada in April, financial supports were needed to support lockdown activities.
- NWT has very few cases due to strict travel restrictions into the territory, so we can understand why travel and testing ranked highly in their version of the study.
- Since May, travel restrictions have risen in Canada.ca’s analytics and if we ran the study again, travel would likely rank in the top 5.
- Based on these findings and web analytics, we are making changes to our IA
- A full content audit is underway asking each Department to review their information
- Aiming to have this completed before the holiday season
Links between Federal and provincial content
- In terms of public health: Susn Harper
- Showed the | COVID-19 travel landing page linked to from the main COVID landing page
- Travelling within Canada is a page that cross-links between all provinces/territories on restrictions and exemptions
- Provincial and territorial for COVID-19 page (Susan checking if any links have changes since it’s been updated a month ago)
- Resources and content in multiple languages
- Federal/DTO: We’ve been getting requests for more resources in different languages beyond EN and FR, but it’s a concern with the content being updated so frequently
- Chanel Blanchard: Wondering if anyone has any more research or tips on process to post/publish in?
- David Cox (Ontario gov’t)/Lauren Sugar: Don’t have a link yet, but did look at the census to see which languages are being spoken in Ontario, and then we try to prioritize the top 10.
- Laurel: Unfortunately, any other language that is added isn’t scripted in EN and FR and has to be added as PDFs
- Same for NWT and Alberta, with multiple languages being provided as PDF’s
- Will add links for Ontario **
- Umesha (NWT): https://www.gov.nt.ca/covid-19/en/services/translated-information
- If your team needs a font that supports a specific Indigenous language, the Canada 150 font covers a large majority of them. A public domain version of the font is now available as "Canada 1500": https://typodermicfonts.com/canada1500/
- Saskatchewan (Jeff Gov); We’ve tried int he past with various languages as PDF but we haven’t seen huge update